Job Title: GIS/GPS QA Tech
Job Code: 340441
These positions are part of a geographically dispersed and cross-functional team that has the responsibility for the continuous development, data delivery and quality assurance, execution and improvement of work activities as well as processes which directly support NiSource’s GPS Precision Data Program. This program is directly linked to the upgrading and enhancement of NiSource gas facility records through the Program while improving damage prevention from third party excavation damage.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs and supports with excellence daily Program activities (i.e. QA/QC, GPS collection feedback reports for partners, mapping services, record investigations, Program analysis, etc.)
- Positively works as a team instilling a sense of exceptional collaboration, industry leadership, continuous improvement, customer focus, and process ownership
- Works with leadership to continuously develop and grow through knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Builds and strengthens collaborative partnerships with areas such as Center of Excellence, Distribution Ops, Program partners, Field Operations, Construction, IT and other functions to support and meet Company strategic business goals and objectives
- Ensures Program data is reviewed, updated, completed and accurately maintained with exceptional quality and timeliness
- Participates in routine best practice sharing that produces value added solutions, innovations and and/or continuous improvement results
- Contributes information to leadership that produces meaningful summaries of Program value such as accuracy, earned value, productivity, project status’ and cost/benefit-related metrics
- Supports delivery of technical support and training for Program users as applicable
- Ensures the GIS data structure and data quality support the effective use of spatial data in applications throughout the enterprise
- Follows and assures compliance with proposed designs, company standards and other applicable guidelines and codes
- Supports implementation actions and processes to ensure the safe, reliable and high value delivery of service to customers
- Actively updates leadership on any known professional/technical developments and emerging related technologies relevant to the Program
- Compliance with standard operating practices, policies and procedures
- Promotes a safe working environment and public safety to ensure the safe and reliable delivery of energy services at best cost
- Competent, well-trained technician who promotes an inclusive and diverse workforce
- Assists with ensuring that organizational guidelines are met with safe/efficient high quality execution that complies with policies, practices, standards, and applicable codes
- Supports accurate, timely and complete recording of gas facility records
- Meets or exceeds internal/external customer and organizational expectations through productivity, performance, and quality
- Supports consistent communication with key stakeholders and business partners
- Cultivates and maintains effective partnerships with Field Operations, Damage Prevention, Construction, Engineering, Compliance, IT and other functions
- Identifies, proposes and executes best practice opportunities
- Standard operating practices, policies and procedures
- Ever-increasing departmental performance through technical excellence of the individual and leadership by example
Required Qualifications for Position
- Minimum Associate’s Degree education in geography, GIS, survey, cartography, engineering, computer science, or other relevant discipline
- Minimum of two (2) years' experience in gas operations, utility damage prevention, utility mapping, GIS, field mapping, GPS data production or equivalent professional experience
- Proficiency in digital mapping/GIS software (e.g. ESRI, ArcFM, MicroStation, AutoCAD)
- Proven effectiveness in a geographically dispersed and cross functional workforce, as well as in field operations
Preferred Additional Qualifications for Position
- Gas utility damage prevention, utility locating, gas plant/service/transmission operations experience
- Advanced education in engineering, project management, computer science, cartography, survey, GIS, information technology, or business-related discipline
- Knowledge of company and gas utility industry codes, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures
- Working knowledge of other Company support systems (e.g. WMS, WOMS, DIS)
- Advanced level in Microsoft Suite
- Analysis and process automation experience (Python, Model Builder, Java, C++, Visual Basic, SQL)
The successful candidate will be selected for the below two titles based on education and experience
- Tech GIS/GPS Quality Control 1 - $58,400-$81,900)
- Tech GIS/GPS Quality Control 2 - $65,900-$99,000)
This position can be located anywhere within NiSource PA/OH Service Territory
This description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position.
Inclusion & Diversity
Value inclusion within your day to day responsibilities by respecting others perspectives/convictions, engaging others opinions, creating a safe environment where people, ideas, and opinions are valued within your Team/Customers and external partners.
Respect and take into consideration diversity within your Team/Customers and external work partners by valuing different world views, challenges, and cultures that represent all walks of life and all backgrounds.
Treat others with respect and consideration. Actively participate in creating and contributing to a positive work environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NiSource is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in each of its companies to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, disability, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any protected group status as defined by law. Each employee is expected to abide by this principle.
By applying, you may be considered for other job opportunities.
Promote a safe work environment by actively participating in all aspects of our employee safety program. Report any unsafe conditions and take actions to prevent personal injuries. Support our interdependent safety culture by ensuring the safety of your co-workers. Stay focused on the task at hand and promote productivity through good work habits.
$58,400.00 - $99,000.00
Posting Start Date:
Posting End Date (if applicable):
Please note that the job posting will close on the day before the posting end date.