Job Title: Compliance Specialist
Leads the implementation and execution of the compliance initiatives, including Distribution Integrity Management, MAOP remediation, Public Awareness, Emergency Preparedness, Gas Standard Reviews, and internal/external audits. Develops a shared commitment and provides value added services associated with compliance initiatives. Drives operational excellence through continuous improvement. Provides expertise, direction and training on technical materials and procedural issues to Virginia Operations. Develops and promotes the vision and culture of industry leading pipeline safety and compliance.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and implements a vision and strategic direction for the regulatory function, including the development and maintenance of an internal customer focused working relationship with Field Operations, Construction, Support Operations and Engineering Technical Operations.
- Develops, promotes and leads pipeline safety initiatives.
- Facilitates, promotes and enhances collaborative relationships with State Commissions in order to obtain agreement on NiSource’s position of the interpretation of regulations.
- Promotes and enhances collaborative relationships with industry associations and company affiliates.
- Leads and/or assists in coordinating and conducting investigations and prepares responses to State and Federal Commissions on reportable incidents, notices of investigation, notices of probable violations and other reports as needed.
- Participates on the management continuity. Responds to emergency situations and/or incidents during working and non-working hours. Provides assistance during work continuity efforts.
- Leads and/or participates in internal audits including preparing and responding to findings.
- Prepares areas for Commission Audits. Prepares, develops and facilitates the implementation of preventative strategies to eliminate repeat offenses.
- Participates and provides expertise and guidance in the revision and updating of company policies and procedures. Assesses the impact of evolving technology on policies and procedures and submits revisions as needed.
- Assists the NiSource legal department, providing Operations expertise to gather data, coordinate and provide a technical review of reports and draft language relating to incident reports.
- Leads the annual update and review of Emergency Manual.
- Represents Columbia Gas as a Liaison to the Fire & Police Departments, as appropriate.
- Leads and conducts natural gas and public awareness training for Fire Departments, Police Departments, Schools, Municipalities, Utilities or Public Entities and Officials.
- Leads and/or assists in the implementation of the state’s Distribution Integrity Management Program.
- Leads/participates in ad-hoc project teams including, DIMP and other Compliance related projects.
- Leads leak record QA/QC and has analytical responsibility for risk modeling on DIMP models
- Develops and leads ad/hoc training sessions for Operations to ensure compliance.
- Represents the Company before federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
- Represents the Company before the Indiana Energy Association.
- Plans, coordinates, and leads emergency exercises and table top drills.
- Provides expertise, direction and training to Field leaders on technical materials and procedural issues and problems to ensure compliance with Company, State, Federal and/or Local codes and regulations.
- Conducts and facilitates after action reviews of significant and/or reportable incidents, to prevent repeat offenses through policy reviews and training from lessons learned.
- Represents Compliance at local safety meetings and staff meetings.
- Ensures compliance with DOT Operator Qualification for external as well as internal resources. Monitors and tracks OQ initiatives, monitors contractor qualifications and NOC documentation.
Required Qualifications for Position
- Demonstrated knowledge of field operations and state specific policies and procedures, state and federal regulations (specifically DOT Pipeline safety regulations 192).
- Experience using/referencing Operations policies and procedures to interpret, clarify and solve problems.
- Minimum one year operations experience in natural gas distribution.
- Experience researching, interpreting and making recommendations regarding DOT Pipeline Safety Regulation 192.
- Demonstrated safe driving via an acceptable MVR.
- Ability to travel, sometimes under short notice
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with PC based systems, including Word and Excel, to create memos and spreadsheets containing basic mathematical formulas.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills that result in clear, concise and positive communications.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrated strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communications.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
Preferred Additional Qualifications for Position
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Previous training experience.
- At least 2 years of front-line and/or staff leadership experience in Service, Plant, M&R, or Engineering Technical Operations.
- Experience interpreting DOT Pipeline Safety Regulations 190, 191, 192, 193, and 199.
- Understanding and working knowledge of Company tariff.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of plant and service operations.
- Demonstrated direct interface in providing support to Public Utilities Commission audits and inquiries.
- Previous auditing/field assessment experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience utilizing operations support systems, including WMS and DIS.
The successful candidate will be selected for the one of the three levels of the Compliance Specialist role based off of previous work experience:
- Compliance Specialist 1
- Compliance Specialist 2
- Sr. Ops Compliance Specialist
This position can be located anywhere within the NiSource (NIPSCO) Indiana gas service territory with a preference for Merrillville, IN.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position.
Inclusion & Diversity
Value inclusion within your day to day responsibilities by respecting others perspectives/convictions, engaging others opinions, creating a safe environment where people, ideas, and opinions are valued within your Team/Customers and external partners.
Respect and take into consideration diversity within your Team/Customers and external work partners by valuing different world views, challenges, and cultures that represent all walks of life and all backgrounds.
Treat others with respect and consideration. Actively participate in creating and contributing to a positive work environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NiSource is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in each of its companies to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, disability, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any protected group status as defined by law. Each employee is expected to abide by this principle.
By applying, you may be considered for other job opportunities.
Promote a safe work environment by actively participating in all aspects of our employee safety program. Report any unsafe conditions and take actions to prevent personal injuries. Support our interdependent safety culture by ensuring the safety of your co-workers. Stay focused on the task at hand and promote productivity through good work habits.
$62,500.00 - $129,500.00
Posting Start Date:
Posting End Date (if applicable):
Please note that the job posting will close on the day before the posting end date.