Job Title: Lead Financial Analyst - Accounting
Job Code: 10363
The Financial Analyst provides value-added financial services to both internal and external customers. The incumbent may assume responsibility for financial activities, including but not limited to reviewing and interpreting the impact of financial reporting proposals promulgated by governing bodies; preparing analytical studies on historical, forecast, and pro-forma financial data; developing comprehensive financial data reports for both internal and external customers; and providing other needed expertise and reporting to accurately reflect and manage financial matters.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; compares data from different sources to draw conclusions; uses effective approaches for choosing course of action or developing appropriate solutions; takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences. (Professional Judgment)
- Compiles, organizes and formats data, including qualitative analysis required for internal and external reporting. Identifies and researches reporting issues, provides recommendations, assists with the adoption of new reporting requirements. (Reporting)
- Recognizes situations where the regulatory framework and rate case outcomes drive our business; Supports regulatory initiatives by gathering data and preparing regulatory schedules and/or preparing pro-forma calculations, testimony and data requests; Assists with review and analysis of regulatory documents; Appreciates the application of the regulatory construct to our business. (Regulatory)
- Understands terminology and developments. Knows when to and can apply technical knowledge to processes, procedures, and tasks. (Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills)
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of financial statements, metrics and measures, and key strategic business initiatives; Understands and utilizes economic and industry data as it relates to job responsibilities. (Business Acumen)
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the operating plan and role in the F&A organization; Has a general knowledge of other departments' role in the F&A organization; Collaboratively develops solutions between corporate and business units. (Understanding F&A)
- Demonstrates our commitment to quality by documenting work fully and accurately. (Documentation of Work Performed)
- Takes action to identify, analyze and improve existing processes within our organization to maximize opportunities for efficiency and effectiveness and meet new goals and objectives. (Continuous Process Improvement)
- Reviews journal entries and the General Ledger for appropriateness
- Performs accounting close and ad hoc activities
- Supports regulatory by providing supporting accounting insight, support, and guidance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for Accounting Financial Analyst:
- Technical Accounting: Applies GAAP knowledge to analyze complex transactions; identifies accounting issues, researches applicable GAAP standards and consults with department management to develop and implement solutions
- Continuous Improvement: We are all about empowering analysts to find ways to be more effective and efficient. This means they need to originate action to improve existing conditions and processes; generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
- Initiating Action: Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals, taking action to achieve results beyond what is required, being proactive
- Professional judgement Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; compares data from different sources to draw conclusions; uses effective approaches for choosing course of action or developing appropriate solutions; takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Communication: We work with multiple groups within finance and outside of finance. Lots of touch points that require analyst to stay connected to stakeholders. Ability to appropriately communicate the context of financial scenarios.
- Financial Acumen- Understands basics of finance and accounting, including the relationships between segments of the financial statements (e.g. balance sheet, income statement, and cash flow)
- Regulatory: Prepares regulatory financial statement and schedules, including routine regulatory filings, pro-forma calculations, testimony and data requests; assists with review and analysis of rate case support, new rate orders and accounting orders
- Data analysis - Analyze information from a variety of sources to detect trends, associations, cause-effect relationships and other anomalies.
- Time management - Effectively manage his or her time to ensure deadlines are met and quality is achieved.
- Collaboration - Productively work in a team environment both departmentally and cross functionally to achieve group goals.
- Networking- Pursue opportunities to network with different parts of finance as well as other parts of NI.
- Quality Orientation- Produces processes, tasks, and work products to ensure freedom from errors, omissions, or defects.
Required Qualifications for Position
- Requires four year degree in business discipline
- Requires knowledge of PC applications
- Prefer CPA
- 5+ years of experience in finance, accounting, regulatory or a related field
- Requires multiple functional experience
- Regulatory Finance Acumen - Understand how we make money and how changes to the financial statements flow through and impact customer bills and NI EPS.
- Building Partnerships - Developing and leveraging relationships within and across work groups to achieve results.
- Decision Support - Recommends the most effective course of action after evaluating options against decision criteria.
- Influencing - Gain others' commitment to take action that will enhance value for business partners and/or customers.
- Continuous Improvement - Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
- Ability to successfully lead and coordinate projects and train other analysts
- Proven record of superior experience in the regulatory environment, accounting, finance, or other business discipline
- Demonstrated proficiency in multiple functions, as well as successful assumption of increasingly technical projects and responsibilities
- Proven ability to provide expert technical advice to others in an accurate and timely manner
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position.
Inclusion & Diversity
Value inclusion within your day to day responsibilities by respecting others perspectives/convictions, engaging others opinions, creating a safe environment where people, ideas, and opinions are valued within your Team/Customers and external partners.
Respect and take into consideration diversity within your Team/Customers and external work partners by valuing different world views, challenges, and cultures that represent all walks of life and all backgrounds.
Treat others with respect and consideration. Actively participate in creating and contributing to a positive work environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NiSource is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in each of its companies to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, disability, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any protected group status as defined by law. Each employee is expected to abide by this principle.
By applying, you may be considered for other job opportunities.
Promote a safe work environment by actively participating in all aspects of our employee safety program. Report any unsafe conditions and take actions to prevent personal injuries. Support our interdependent safety culture by ensuring the safety of your co-workers. Stay focused on the task at hand and promote productivity through good work habits.
Posting Start Date:
Posting End Date (if applicable):
Please note that the job posting will close on the day before the posting end date.