This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Valparaiso, IN, United States
Req ID: R00933880
Job Title: Field Engineering Intern
Job Code: INT003
NiSource Internship Program Introduction
The 12-week NiSource Internship program starting May 20th, is a multi-faceted development experience that provides our interns with challenging and meaningful work that impacts the communities we serve. As a NiSource intern, you will have the opportunity to learn from senior leadership and build professional relationships with employees across our company. The NiSource Internship program also incorporates workshops to learn about NiSource, the energy industry and infuses learning and development opportunities that sharpen your professional skills. The robust program will aid in building the fundamentals needed to enter the energy workforce upon graduation.
This role will assist and be under the guidance of other project engineering staff working on projects within the electric Major Projects organization. This position includes supporting the project engineering staff in progressing engineering during the project life cycle including project initiation, conceptual engineering, engineering planning, detailed design and drawings submittal, constructability reviews, change control, product testing and acceptance, transition of the product or service to the internal customer, and ensure optimum product performance at various levels of complexity.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Desire a quick learner with willingness to remain flexible in various work assignments
• Understanding of basic engineering/technical theories and principles
• Understanding of basic practices of researching technical design issues
• Ability to evaluate options and risks and then preparing and presenting those recommendations to other engineering staff
• Ability to read/interpret drawings/standards and assist in analyzing/solving problems
• Ability to perform duties under various levels of supervision
• Reviews or prepares reports on complex technical subjects clearly, concisely, and effectively, in a manner suitable for presentation to project engineering and project management
• Support review of relevant project documents and drawings with internal stakeholders
• Work with engineering firms to provide engineering solutions that effectively meet the project’s goals and objectives
• Develop and maintain applicable project Request for Information (RFI) logs
• High importance placed on the ability to express technical concepts effectively, both verbal and written
• High consideration for those candidates with interpersonal skills which are effective in communication with internal and external project stakeholders
• Collecting and analyzing data and reviewing records
• Safety consciousness required
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by project engineering staff
Required Qualifications for Position
• Current student of an ABET accredited, four-year engineering, engineering technology, or project management program
• Must have completed at least one year of undergraduate study
• Ability to work 40 hrs/week during the summer and between 15 and 20 hrs/week when school is in session
• Possess a valid driver's license and reliable transportation
• Proficiency with PC applications and prefer strong skills with MS Excel
• Proven communication skills
• Authorized to work in the United States without requiring sponsorship
This description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position.
Inclusion & Diversity
Value inclusion within your day to day responsibilities by respecting others perspectives/convictions, engaging others opinions, creating a safe environment where people, ideas, and opinions are valued within your Team/Customers and external partners.
Respect and take into consideration diversity within your Team/Customers and external work partners by valuing different world views, challenges, and cultures that represent all walks of life and all backgrounds.
Treat others with respect and consideration. Actively participate in creating and contributing to a positive work environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NiSource is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in each of its companies to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, disability, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any protected group status as defined by law. Each employee is expected to abide by this principle.
By applying, you may be considered for other job opportunities.
Promote a safe work environment by actively participating in all aspects of our employee safety program. Report any unsafe conditions and take actions to prevent personal injuries. Support our interdependent safety culture by ensuring the safety of your co-workers. Stay focused on the task at hand and promote productivity through good work habits.
Posting Start Date:2023-11-21
Posting End Date (if applicable):2023-11-21