Job Title: Leader Capital Close Out
Job Code: 104847
The Leader Capital Close-Out leads a geographically dispersed team that analyzes new business, public and system improvement, and maintenance project completion information to assure compliance with proposed designs, company standards and other applicable guidelines and codes. Project as-built documentation is also evaluated for proper testing and complete documentation. The successful candidate will lead a team of GIS Technicians who ensure that facility data is created, updated, and maintained accurately in the work management system, GIS, and plant accounting system. The information is also made accessible in accordance with all designated standards for timeliness and accuracy that supports operational needs and meets internal customer expectations. The GIS Technicians provide technical assistance and support for Construction and Field Operations staff involved in the construction, operation, and maintenance of distribution facilities. Natural gas distribution facilities consist of main lines, service lines, and measurement & regulation equipment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote a safe working environment and public safety to ensure the safe and reliable delivery of energy services at best cost.
- Competent, well-trained staff.
- Assurance that completed projects meet safe/efficient high quality engineering designs that comply with policies, practices, standards, and applicable codes.
- Accurate and timely recording of natural gas facility additions and changes in a work management system, GIS and Plant Accounting.
- Meet or exceed internal/external customer expectations for productivity, performance, and quality.
- Consistent communication with key stakeholders and business partners.
- Support functional consistency, process standardization and operational excellence.
- Effective partnerships with Construction, Field Engineering, Field Operations, System Operations, Damage Prevention, Finance (Asset Accounting), Tax, IT and other Technical Operations functions to establish, prioritize and meet strategic business goals and objectives.
- Mutually supportive business relationships throughout the organization.
- Best practice opportunity identification and implementation.
- Standard operating practices, policies and procedures.
- Leads a geographically dispersed staff.
- Manages the daily activities of the Capital Close-Out staff.
- Provide staff with training, guidance and development opportunities.
- Analyze project completion information to assure compliance with proposed designs, company standards and other applicable guidelines and codes.
- Ensures records reported in work management system are consistent with reporting from the GIS.
- Collaborates with Manager in the establishing of group goals, objectives, and priorities.
- Recommends, helps justify, and implements value-added technology, tools and planning techniques to improve process results and capital spending efficiency.
- Manage the storage and retrieval of job orders from long term storage.
- Establishes long term strategy for the creation, updating and use of GIS, WMS and Plant Accounting information.
- Focuses group goals and objectives on improving capital spending efficiency and return on invested capital.
- Ensures cost-conscious decisions are made in regard to O&M and Capital dollars spent and labor costs.
- Ensures the timely, accurate, and cost-effective processing of capital project as-built documentation.
- Ensures the timely, accurate and cost-effective reproduction/publication and distribution of updated facility information.
- Ensures the GIS data structure and data quality support the effective use of spatial data in applications throughout the enterprise.
- Drives functional consistency, process standardization and operational excellence.
- Creates a project management and planning culture.
- Promotes the necessary environment for effective internal customer satisfaction and collaboration.
- Partners with Field Operations, Damage Prevention Center, Finance (Asset Accounting), Tax, IT and other Technical Operations functions to establish, prioritize and meet strategic business goals and objectives.
- Implements activities and processes to ensure the safe, reliable and cost effective delivery of service to customers.
- Establishes and grows valued relationships with government entities, industry associates and company affiliates.
- Facilitates best practice identification, quantification, alignment, and adoption within the organization and with business partners.
- Promotes a safe working environment and public safety.
- Keeps up-to-date with professional/technical developments and emerging related technologies.
- Assists in the development and delivery of training for the GIS Engineering Technician role.
- Assists in the development and delivery of training for key business partner
Required Qualifications for Position
- Prior leadership experience.
- Advanced education in Engineering, GIS, information technology, or related discipline.
- Experience with GIS, GPS and other related spatial technologies.
- Gas utility operations experience.
- Proven knowledge of the capital job order completion process.
- Knowledge of company and gas utility industry codes, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various PC applications and software (i.e. Word, Excel, AutoCAD).
- Knowledge of basic mapping/cartographic concepts (accuracy, scale, datum, projection, coordinates, etc.).
- Proficiency in basic math skills.
- Proficiency in basic geometry.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
Preferred Additional Qualifications for Position
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, GIS, or related technical discipline from an accredited institution.
- Proven knowledge of cartography.
- Working knowledge of operations support systems (e.g. WMS, WMSDocs, COGNOS, DIS, PowerPlant).
- Prior experience with the design capital project execution process.
- Proficiency in corporate GIS software.
- Professional GIS Certification (GISP).
- Experience with GPS and other related spatial technologies.
- Experience with corporate document management systems and record retention standards
- This position can be located anywhere within the NiSource Ohio Central service territory.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position.
Inclusion & Diversity
Value inclusion within your day to day responsibilities by respecting others perspectives/convictions, engaging others opinions, creating a safe environment where people, ideas, and opinions are valued within your Team/Customers and external partners.
Respect and take into consideration diversity within your Team/Customers and external work partners by valuing different world views, challenges, and cultures that represent all walks of life and all backgrounds.
Treat others with respect and consideration. Actively participate in creating and contributing to a positive work environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NiSource is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in each of its companies to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, disability, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any protected group status as defined by law. Each employee is expected to abide by this principle.
By applying, you may be considered for other job opportunities.
Promote a safe work environment by actively participating in all aspects of our employee safety program. Report any unsafe conditions and take actions to prevent personal injuries. Support our interdependent safety culture by ensuring the safety of your co-workers. Stay focused on the task at hand and promote productivity through good work habits.
Posting Start Date:
Posting End Date (if applicable):
Please note that the job posting will close on the day before the posting end date.